Now that the ski season here has drawn to a close, we are eagerly anticipating picking up our RV travels again. With my injury and prolonged recovery (I was on crutches for 3 months and lost 10 lb. of muscle, which I’m working on rebuilding now), we weren’t sure if going very far afield would be possible this summer. So when we found out our original plans could still happen, we were thrilled! Life has a funny way of making sure you don’t take anything for granted.
Our main goals for this spring/summer/fall are exploring the Colorado whitewater festival circuit and the Utah national parks.
- Cotopaxi/Salida, CO for the Colorado Whitewater’s Training Camp weekend. This was our first stop last year, so it will be a fun experience to have come full circle.
- Telluride, CO will include the final day of the Telluride Bluegrass Festival, which I’m really excited about (also, that’s my birthday weekend!). Also, for Nik’s 30th birthday back in March, I got him a gift card for paragliding in Telluride, so we will have lots of fun things to do there.
- The Dolores river (southeast CO) is running for the first time in 5 years, so Nik is excited to check that out.
- We have never been to Durango, CO in the far southeast corner of CO, nor the mountain towns of Silverton, Ouray, or (on a larger scale) Taos.
- Utah has more cool parks and things to see than we could fit on this map. I’m most excited for Zion and the area around Moab.
- In October, we are planning a multi-day raft trip with some friends on the Gates of Lodore section of the Green River in Dinosaur National Monument. It’s supposedly absolutely gorgeous.
Mostly, I’m excited to explore tiny Colorado mountain towns and take in desert views like this one:
What’s along our route that we absolutely have to see? What is nearby that we are missing? Let us know in the comments!
7 thoughts on “2017 Route Proposal”
That view of Zion National Park is amazing! Also, there is a UFO in it.
It is. I can’t take credit, I’m just looking forward to taking my own shots (assuming I’m up for the hike!). And I’ll take your word on the UFO. 😉
Excited about this route! Looks great! I”ve visited Grand Canyone and Bryce – absolutely stunning destinations! (As you know). Was supposed to visit Zion on same trip but we either had problems with directions or the RV or something and didn’t make it. The CO destinations also sound great! A friend of mine is from Ouray too.
I’m excited, too!
We climbed to the top of Angels Landing at Zion. It was just like the pic you posted. I was sore for two days but well worth it.
We just got back from a drive from Nashville. We hit a lot of those stops in AZ, UT, and CO. Stop and stay in Kanab at Parry Lodge.