Painting and Flooring

We completed 3 major projects this weekend.

First, we got all of the electrical system in the RV (minus the solar panels themselves) working together. The batteries are in, the inverter/charger is installed and the 12V system is working correctly.

IMG_20160320_110554

But that’s boring stuff. Next is the flooring. Originally we were planning on doing laminate flooring. Laminate is a decent flooring material but fortunately my parents convinced us that the installation would be tough and that laminate is heavy. Instead we went with a vinyl product that was easy to install, is fairly lightweight, and best of all looks almost like wood:

IMG_20160328_163543
“The Easiest Floor Ever!”

We got it all installed in two days, just place the next piece and press to stick them together. Any odd angles just need a razor blade to shape rather than a saw. Made the install WAY easier.

And that brings us to the painting. Let’s just show the pictures:

PANO_20160326_161548

IMG_20160328_163603

PANO_20160328_163721

We’re really happy with how it turned out. Allison did almost all of the painting (“seven full days hard labor” as she describes it) and I’m so thankful!

Lastly, while it doesn’t count as one of the big three projects we finished, we still wanted to show of some more pictures of the curtains. My grandmother is making us some new curtains to replace the smoke smelling ones that came with it the rig. She sent us the first batch of them for the “bed cave” and we got them installed:

PANO_20160328_163625

PANO_20160327_182036

We love them and can’t wait to see the rest of them. Thanks so much Grammie!

So what’s left? First, you’ll notice that the electrical components are still out in the open. “The box” will eventually go around them but we still need to install it. We have an old white Ikea desk that came with our house that we’ll be chopping up for it.

Next, the solar panels need to be installed. We have all pieces (panels, solar charge controller, fuses/breakers, cabling, mounting hardware), we just need to put it all together and screw the mounts into the roof.

Next, the car towing system. Our Vibe is able to be towed with all four wheels on the ground, but it takes a bit of hardware to do it safely. Earlier today I picked up the tow bar itself and a brake controller but we still need the attachment points installed on the car. Installing that hardware should be about a day of work and $400 for the kit.

Lastly, all the little things. Upholstery on the cushions. Painting the cabinet handles. Finishing the new wood in the back. Installing two dressers in the back. Moving the new mattress in. Re-installing the valences and blinds. Etc. Etc. Etc.

Oh yeah, and selling all of our stuff. Anyone want any furniture or any of our stuff? We’re planning on having a couple garage sales and we’ve been craigslisting all the time.

So long story short, it’s starting to feel like home. 🙂

One thought on “Painting and Flooring

  1. What challenging painting. No big spaces for easy rolling! Looks nice, bright and fresh. Nice job Allison.

    All the mechanical/electrical jobs are just really overwhelming. I am so impressed!

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s